Chemical engineers design and develop chemical processes and equipment in order to transform raw materials into useful products. They also oversee the operation and maintenance of industrial chemical plants. The forest products industry employs chemical engineers in pulp and paper mills.
As a chemical engineer in a pulp and paper mill, you will work closely with technical and operations personnel to monitor and optimize processes. You could also find yourself coordinating projects and trials to increase production, improve quality and reduce costs.
A degree in chemical engineering from a university is required.
- Average Annual Salary: $97,052
- Average Hourly Rate: $47/hour
- Conduct economic and technical feasibility studies
- Research how to improve chemical engineering process
- Conduct quality control programs
- Design and test chemical processing and equipment
This job is right for you if...
- You like math and science
- You are interested in how things work
- You like figuring out better ways to do things