In the logging industry, heavy equipment operators run machines like skidders, feller bunchers, excavators, dozers and graders. Their duties may include assessing sites and terrain. You may also do material handling work — say, loading or unloading log trucks. Being a heavy equipment operator is a fast-paced, physically demanding job that requires attention to detail and good hand-eye coordination.
Logging Machinery Operator, Feller-Buncher Operator, Log Loader Operator
Usually there are no formal credentials required. Completion of an equipment operator training program is preferred.
- Average Annual Salary: $47,062
- Average Hourly Rate: $23/hour
- Fell trees
- Skid trees to a central landing
- Load trees onto trucks for delivery to mills
- Move and unload cargo
- Be able to operate a variety of machines such as skidders, feller bunchers, doziers and knuckled-boom loaders
This job is right for you if...
- You like big machines
- You are a team player
- You like the outdoors