Mechanical engineers design and build machinery and systems for heating, ventilation and air conditioning, power generation, transportation, processing and manufacturing. Mechanical engineers have delivered many important technological advances for forest industries, including designing harvesting equipment and machinery for pulp and paper production.
As a mechanical engineer, you get to show off your green credentials by maximizing the forest products industry’s ability to produce green energy. Co-generation projects, in which sawmills burn waste wood to generate additional power, are a prime example.
A mechanical engineering degree from a university is required.
- Average Annual Salary: $91,245
- Average Hourly Rate: $44/hour
- Develop maintenance standards and lead industrial maintenance crews
- Conduct quality control programs
- Supervise technicians and engineers
- Design power plants, machines, components, tools, fixtures and equipment
This job is right for you if...
- You like machines
- You like getting to the root cause of breakdowns
- You like variety and learning new things