A Saw Filer is responsible for safely maintaining saw equipment, performing machine alignment and providing preventive maintenance to saw filing machines. A Saw Filer’s role is not only key to providing the safe operation of saw equipment, but it is also crucial in the efficient production of a sawmill.
Without properly functioning saws, production stops. Saw filers use various hand tools, machines and welding equipment to perform their job. They also use computers, sophisticated electronic equipment, and lasers to maintain saws to the highest possible standards.
Sawmill Worker, Laborer, Assembly Worker, Mill Worker
A high school diploma is typically required. In addition, on the job training and experience working in a sawmill environment is also required.
- Average Annual Salary: $29,855
- Average Hourly Rate: $14/hour
- Examine saw filing equipment for defects
- Perform the necessary procedures to maintain saw filing equipment
- Sharpen and adjust teeth of wood saws
- Compute the number and angle of teeth to produce specified cuts
- Perform all other necessary duties to keep saw filing equipment in peak operating condition
This job is right for you if...
- You are physically fit and can lift heavy objects
- You are a team player
- You like working with your hands and don’t mind hard work
- You love solving puzzles
- You like attention to detail