Timber buyers are responsible for procuring timber from private landowners for delivery to local mills. Timber buyers work closely with landowners to understand their goals and objectives and then monitor harvesting operations to ensure those objectives are met.
Timber buyers also develop and manage sources of supply weekly within agreed upon targets. Specific job duties include cruising, purchasing and harvesting coordination of tracts of standing timber while operating within company and regulatory guidelines.
A degree in forestry, plus experience in wood procurement is required.
- Average Annual Salary: $45,188
- Average Hourly Rate: $22/hour
- Source tracts of timber and negotiate sale price
- Develop and maintain productive logger and producer relationships, including relationships with others
- Seek out new opportunities for sources of supply
This job is right for you if...
- You are a self starter
- You communicate effectively with clients
- You enjoy worker outdoors
- You are an excellent negotiator